Since the highly admired introduction of the PD-171 into the market in 2011, Luxman turntables have been renowned to deliver a sense of atmosphere that can only be achieved through the medium of vinyl, that every vinyl enthusiast strives to achieve. The Luxman PD-171A turntable now has a highly rigid main chassis and heavy base ensuring stable rotation. Additional improvements to the motor, drive circuit and bearing section have also been made.
- Introduction of newly developed high-torque AC Motor
- Motor drive uses similar circuit structure to high power amps
- High-precision clock controlled generator circuit with 32-bit microphone embedded.
- Reflective view type LED stroboscobe useful for adjustments to speed
- Belt drive aluminium machining heavy turntable (5.0kg) utilising high inertia moment (approx 0.7t.2)
- Hanging vibration-damping structure with 15mm thick machined aluminium plate
- High-rigidity 16mm spindle with ball bearing for stable rotation
- Wear-resistant and load-bearing polyether ketone (PEEK) material used in the bearing section
- Floating mounted power transformer and AC motor
- Hybrid vibration-damping structure with wood and metal
- Large-sized insulator with height adjustment function directly secured to aluminium chassis.
- Traditional wood-paneled design
- AC inlet on rear panel for easy replacement of power cable
- Detachable high-intensity LED stylus light
- Cam support for 4mm acrylic dust cover (opens and closes via light)
The LED light on the LHS of the platter is detachable. No more fumbling in the dark trying to locate track # 2. The lamp is a soft orange and is very effective at showing where the tracks are located.
Right in front of the platter is the stroboscope window – speed adjustment is on the RHS of the stroboscope window. When you look into the window, you are actually looking at a mirror, which shows you the numbers 33 or 45 printed underneath the platter. on the outer diameter. When the speed is correct the numbers are static. Simple but extremely effective.
Detachable 4mm acrylic dust cover is on hinges, but for best sound quality, we recommend removing the dust cover completely during playback.
The aluminum top plate is 15mm thick (almost 5/8″). Both the tonearm cable & AC power cord are detachable, allowing an easy path to upgrade.
Forming the vital part of an analogue playback system the PD-171 employs a high output oscillator circuitry coupled to a high precision, high torque synchronous AC motor that drives a high inertia platter via a synthetic belt for stable rotation.
The precision machined spindle rests on a Teflon bearing of large diameter to ensure frictionless rotation. The solid aluminum platter is recessed into the top plate to lower the center of gravity. Handles are provided to remove the platter, if it ever needs to be shipped.
The detachable headshell, allows one to swap cartridges and simply dial in the new tracking weight. Stereo & Mono cartridges of the same model / manufacturer can of course be swapped out in a minute or two. An optional heavier counterweight is available for use with the Ortofon SPU cartridge / headshell.
High quality, oxygen free Luxman phono DIN to RCA cable, is supplied with a strain relief under the plinth. It is however detachable, in case you prefer to use another brand of phono cable.